DAP Pushmobile DERBY
The Pushmobile Derby was started by the City of Wilmington for it’s police and fire departments children.
In 1947 the Delaware Association of Police took over the derby from the City of Wilmington, opening it up to any child living in the State ofDelaware,
The derby has run for over 65 years, first on Lea Blvd, and in 1954, S.Hallock DuPont built a track on Family Property for the derby in the area ofNewark, Milford Crossroads, and it was used until 1986.
Since 1986 it has been held at different street location over the years a search was conducted to find a location that we could use and not cause any hardship to the area. We found an old section of Route 13, 1100 block of South Du Pont Highway that was still there when Route 1 was opened, closing this section to main traffic, but not to the local residence and some small businesses.
In 2005 the state allowed us to use the road and once setup, we were taken back to the days we ran in Newark, all 4 lanes are still there but only 2 lanes are used for traffic, the lanes not being used are blocked off by a fence. This area allows parking for the contestants and their families and also allows them to setup up tents so they would be in the shade to watch the races, making this a great event once again.
This road is still being used today, so special thanks goes out to the State’s Dept of Transportation, for allowing us to use this road…
The derby has changed over the years but we hope the changes have made for a better race.